Aravis on macOS šŸŽ

Hi,

I had the chance to get my hands on an Apple 2014 MacBook Pro, and spend some time to play with the building of Aravis on this machine. The OS is macOS Catalina 10.15.7, with Homebrew for the build environment.

I was expecting to be able to run the command line tools, but I thought it will be harder to run Aravis viewer. I was wrong, it was just the matter of installing the right dependencies (Gtk, GStreamer and libnotify).

Performance seems acceptable, but it seems the update from High Sierra to Catalina had a negative impact on the USB3Vision maximum bandwidth. To be investigated.

Cheers.

Hello,
Iā€™d be very much interested in getting Aravis to work on my MacBook Pro Catalina (10.15.7 too), setup went ok even if Iā€™m not familiar with build process.
arv-test-0.8 seems to work fine, recognizes my ids DBK33GX462 camera and returns stats.

however I canā€™t get the viewer to work properly, here are the messages I get when running arv-viewer-0.8 :

Gstreamer plugin 'appsrc' is missing
Gstreamer plugin 'videoconvert' is missing
Gstreamer pugin 'videoflip' is missing
Missing Gstreamer video output plugin (autovideosink, gtksink or gtkglsink)
Check your Gstreamer installation

I followed precisely the procedure given here : Aravis ā€“ 0.8: Installation and Debug and system states that

gstreamer 1.22.0 is already installed and up-to-date

gst-plugins-base, gst-plugins-good and gst-plugins-bad are installed and up-to-date too

if you have any idea that could help, Iā€™d be very thankful !
cheers
eM

Hi,

This is a known issue: Running arv-viewer on macOS fails, not finding gstreamer plugins Ā· Issue #764 Ā· AravisProject/aravis Ā· GitHub

The workaround is not yet included in the documentation.

Emmanuel.

thanks for your reply.
it turned out the plugins, ffmpeg and aravis needed an update, but now i get my camera image in aravis viewer, using the tip you linked above.
thanks again !

Hi Emmanuel,
for computer performance reasons, Iā€™m now trying to install aravis on MacOS 13.2.1 on a 2021 MacBook M1 Pro.
however the workaround command didnā€™t work, but since I read in ara-viewer-0.8 not finding GStreamer plugins Ā· Issue #724 Ā· AravisProject/aravis Ā· GitHub the following info

Looks like ā€˜appsrcā€™ ā€˜videoflipā€™ and ā€˜videoconvertā€™ are located in /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0/ for the intel mac and /opt/homebrew/lib/gstreamer-1.0/ for the M1 macs.

I modified the command to

arv-viewer-0.8 --gst-plugin-path=/opt/homebrew/lib/gstreamer-1.0/

and was able to get the viewer running.

I launched the Fake camera and had it displayed, but when clicking on the back arrow to modify settings, the terminal issued the following error :

GStreamer-Video-CRITICAL **: 20:06:21.181: gst_video_center_rect: assertion ā€˜src->h != 0ā€™ failed

Apparently it keeps working anyway, but I thought Iā€™d let you knowā€¦

Thanks again for this nice piece of software !

Hi @emzeweb

Thanks for the follow up.

It happens on other platform too. Seems harmless, but it would be better if we can get rid of this warning. I donā€™t know how yet.

Cheers,

Emmanuel.