GigE Vision 2.1

I understand from AIA that GigE Vision 2.1 is not backward compatible with version 1.2.

Does Aravis support both?

Hi Barry,

Aravis is developed by reverse engineering, so it is hard to say. Development has started in 2009/2010, before GigEVision 2.0 was released, and I did not had to make incompatible changes. So I would say 2.1 is backward compatible with 1.2. But I’m may be wrong.

Emmanuel.

Thank you for the response, and for your work on Aravis. It appears to be a high quality project.

We are researching developing a GigEV device and would plan to us Aravis as part of the verification.

I spoke with the AIA executive in charge of the spec so we could get the document. He specifically mentioned that we would need to choose between 1.2 and 2.1 because 2.1 (and future versions) had made a break and was not backward compatible.

We have not yet decided which version to design to, so my question was mostly a survey.

I can imagine that you have designed software to accept both versions over the years, but this could also explain discrepancies you may have uncovered. If you think you support both versions, you might mention it in the documentation.

I could, but I honestly don’t have any idea about what version of GigEVision is supported by Aravis.

While the AIA specification documents are freely available, to my knowledge it is still not possible to release an open source software based on these documents. That is why Aravis is reverse engineered, and why I don’t know what’s in there.

No worries. Not trying to tell you how to run your project. Only trying to be helpful.